Thursday, June 8, 2017

Sugar Cookie Sandwiches with Lemon Ice Filling


When I was little my Grandma baked all the time and I loved her sugar cookies.  I've been making them for a few years now, but wanted something more than just plain sugar cookies.  Since I have quite a few of her cookie cutters I thought I would make sandwich cookies and lemon frosting sounded like the perfect filling for them!


Here's the recipe:

Grandma's Sugar Cookies
Makes approx 24 cookies (12 sandwiches)

1 cup (2 sticks of butter)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Mix (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer)

3. Form balls and roll in sugar

4. Lightly flatten (I just used my hand) and cut out with a cookie cutter of your choice (I used a metal scallop cutter as shown in picture)

5. Place on a cookie sheet (sprayed with Pam for baking) I sprinkled on a little more sugar on each cookie.  Bake for 9-10 minutes depending on your oven.  I like my cookies really soft and chewy so I check them after 7 1/2 minutes.

6. I let mine cool for 5 minutes and used a small heart fondant cutter to make the cute little heart cutout on half of them (don't do it on all of them otherwise your frosting will come out the bottom!)

7. Once cool, make your frosting (recipe below) and smooth on a thin layer between two cookies.

Lemon Ice Frosting

1 lb box powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp lemon extract
*I added 3 drops of yellow food coloring to make that sweet pale yellow color

Mix (again, I used my stand mixer) for 2 minutes until nice and fluffy and you're done!



Xo,
Melissa

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright The Rainbow Mermaid 2018